Roofing Today has reported on a disastrous scenario with potentially fatal consequences for neighbouring households.
A re-roofing project, also involved the removal of a chimney stack by the building contractor. During the works, residents of an adjacent property were startled by the disconcerting noise of debris falling into the chimney’s flue and were shocked to find that the chimney stack had been completely dismantled and concealed beneath a layer of tiles.
The occupants of the neighbouring property had not been forewarned about these construction activities. This omission meant that had they not been present to witness debris falling down the chimney, they would have remained unaware of the potentially life-threatening obstruction within the flue.
Recognising the gravity of the safety concerns, the neighbour contacted a Gas Safe registered engineer whose inspection confirmed the obstruction of the flue serving a gas fire appliance in the affected property. The severity of the situation required the immediate isolation and removal of the gas appliance connected to the compromised flue.
This incident came to light through an anonymous report to the CROSS UK safety organisation. The concerned reporter noted that home improvement projects can often conceal complexities beyond the understanding of untrained individuals. They underscored the urgent need for increased education in such endeavours.
Experts at CROSS asserted that clients, designers, and implementers of construction projects, regardless of their perceived simplicity, bear the responsibility and accountability for ensuring meticulous execution. They also emphasised that, in the event of casualties or fatalities due to carbon monoxide poisoning, ignorance would not serve as a valid excuse.
DMP Comes Across This Issue
If you required advice on any on your property problems, please c Delaney Marling Partnership, please contact us. You can also sign up to our newsletter HERE.